Saturday, August 22, 2009

Kaminey

If something could force me out of my blogging slumber, it had to be something that was nauseating or exhilirating. I am glad it is the latter.

Watched Kaminey recently. Wow. That sums up my reaction. I have this habit of checking reviews of movies after I have watched them so that I know which reviewers to trust next time. All the reviewers have given good ratings which are justified. Even Raja Sen of Rediff, a reviewer so hopelessly out of league of Bollywood cinema, has given it high ratings.

Intelligent cinema was one word that was common to the five reviews I read. I agree. In fact I witnessed several "non-intelligent" people watching the movie with utter confusion since they could not make out what was happening in many parts. I was actually enjoying their discomfort as they squirmed and shifted uneasily in their seats! Shame on me.

The dialogue in Marathi, Bangla (don't say Bangali or Bengali; that is a misspelling!!), Portugese, Hindi, English, Hinglish and Bambaiya Hindi was kinda hard to follow, even for me. But it was real and natural. I am sure gangsters who travel to India, don't start conversing in Hindi suddenly, for the benefit of Indians ;)

I enjoyed dhan te nan immensely. This is a sure shot evergreen hit. A regular at all dance parties! Disappointed that other songs don't match up!

The ending was along expected lines of Hindi cinema. After all, as SRK says in OSO, "Jab tak hamari picture mein sab kuch theek nahin ho jaata, picture khatam nahin hotee. Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost." I wish Vishal Bhardwaj had the guts to show a different ending. A dying hero adds glamour to the movie, a la AB in Sholay!

Shahid Kapoor is really convincing in his role as Guddu and Charlie!

I am a confirmed fan of VB now. I personally think Omkara had better overall impact. I will give omkara 4.5 out of 5. Kaminey gets 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. "Intelligent cinema was one word that was common to the five reviews I read. I agree. In fact I witnessed several "non-intelligent" people watching the movie with utter confusion since they could not make out what was happening in many parts. I was actually enjoying their discomfort as they squirmed and shifted uneasily in their seats! Shame on me."

    Very beautifully crafted.

    Mohit

    ReplyDelete