Thursday, August 07, 2003

I can't believe there is no major Indian cricket match for another 2 months or so. I mean we Indians are so used to our regular shot of cricket, that such a long hiatus after the World Cup has left us completely dry. I just wish October was here sooner and we all get to see New Zealand get a bit of their own treatment, on Indian pitches. I am all for sporting pitches, not just spinning tracks, so that we can show which is the better team. We on sporting tracks, or they on specially-prepared-bad-tracks-not-worth-international-standards? I think we all know the answer.

Indians are having a bad run in the counties, except may be Dravid. Marriage suits him :-)

Recently I read an article in the TOI that speculated whether going to county matches was still the relevant "coming-of-age" ritual for Indian cricketers. Country cricket has lost its charm in the recent years, and Indians are playing a lot more international cricket, than say 20 years or even 10 years ago. But one thing cannot be denied. Where else can you drive around in a 50 mile radius and get to meet so many new quality teams, with good facilities and excellent atmosphere. You get to experience new kind of pitches and varied bowling attacks. So I guess there is some merit in the county-cricket experience.

But that's just me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment